Recipe Review- Hot and Sour Soup
I think I’m up and running again. I went to the grocery store 1st thing this morning. When I got home, I made a nice lunch of homemade hot and sour soup using this Tyler Florence recipe http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/hot-and-sour-soup-recipe/index.html. I made some changes:
- Boxed stock instead of homemade.
- I left out the chicken/pork, but did use a small handful of baby shrimp.
- I used two egg whites instead of one.
- I used a package of dried shitake instead of wood ears (big mushroom lover here.)
- I substituted 2 cups of the mushroom soaking liquid for 2 cups of the stock.
- I added 1/2 cup cubed water chesnuts.
- I added 2 stalks cubed celery
- I added 1/4 cup small cubed carrots
- I halved the ginger
- I added an extra tsp salt and extra 1/2 tsp pepper (I used black b/c I like the color.)
- I added a handful of green peas
I also fried up some homemade crunchy noodles to float in the soup. I cut egg roll wrappers into small strips and fried them in hot veggie oil. When they were crisp, I drained them on paper towels and sprinkled with salt (we were eating them as a snack.) This soup was amazing. It was a bit of work, but I love cooking and had an empty house (kids were playing in the snow), so it was me time.
It feels good to get going again!