In depth ramblings about cooking, homekeeping, and whatever else I decide to write about.
I recently stumbled on an amazing looking garlic butter roasted mushroom recipe from Smitten Kitchen. I was dying to make it, but I wanted to find a way to make it into a dinner. So, I hacked it. By adding a package of baby spinach, some white wine, and Parmesan cheese, and serving it over pasta, I made it a quick, easy, light vegetarian meal that we all loved.
-1 pound mushrooms such as cremini or white, halved lengthwise if large
-2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and chopped
-3 large garlic cloves, minced
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
-1/3 cup white wine
-1 6 oz. package baby spinach leaves
-1 tsp. salt
-1/2 tsp ground black pepper
-2 heaping Tbsp. good Parmesan cheese
-1 lb. cooked pasta (I used spaghetti)
1.Preheat oven to 450°F with rack in middle.
2. Toss mushrooms with capers, garlic, and oil.
3. Top with butter and roast, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender and golden and bubbly garlic sauce forms-15 to 20 minutes.
4. Remove mushrooms from oven and add white wine, salt and pepper immediately. Stir.
5. Add spinach, stir, cover and allow to sit for 3 minutes or until spinach has wilted.
6. Toss with hot pasta and cheese. You can add more butter, olive oil, and cheese if desired.