Eat- Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Casserole
I love my slow cooker. It’s so nice to load it up in the morning and come home to a house brimming over with delicious smells. It accommodates my laziness perfectly too. This recipe is one of my most recently developed recipes and has quickly become one of my family’s favorites.It is one of the few recipes I will break down and use canned cream soup in. It is truly blissful comfort food.
- 2 regular sized cans cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 regular sized can cream of mushroom soup
- 32 oz. (fill the cream soup cans 3x) of chicken stock, broth, or bullion (if you plan on cooking the noodles in the slow cooker, add 10 more oz or 1 more cream soup can of chicken stock)
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1 cup diced celery (you can use more if you like)
- 1 cup chopped or sliced carrots (you can use more if you like)
- 2 cloves minced garlic (about 2 tsp.)
- 1 bay leaf (remove at the end)
- 2 tsp. herbes de provence (or substitute 1 tsp. dried rosemary + 1 tsp. dried thyme)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
* Tip- place all of the chopped veggies and spices in a large baggie or container the night before to add to the slow cooker in the morning.
- 12 oz. package of extra wide egg noodles
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- 1 cup frozen green peas (optional-we don’t like them, but this would be good for people who like peas)
1. Place the canned soup and stock in the slow cooker and stir until smooth.
2. Combine all but the last 3 ingredients (the ones that are separate from the rest of the list) into the slow cooker.
3. Cook on low 6-8 hours.
4. Pull out the bay leaf and chicken breasts. Discard bay leaf.
5. Chop the chicken into bite sized pieces and add back to the slow cooker.
6. Stir really well.
7. Add the heavy cream.
9. Cook the egg noodles on the stove for 2 minutes less than the package says.
10. Drain and add noodles to the slow cooker.
11. Stir well.
12. Let cook for 5 minutes with the lid off.
13. At the end of the 5 minutes, add the peas, turn off the slow cooker, and allow to sit for about 3 minutes. 14. Taste the sauce. Add more salt and pepper if needed. It is ready to serve!
*You can cook the noodles in the slow cooker if you absolutely must. I am not a fan of the texture, but many people do it and like it fine. Just make sure you added 10 extra oz. of chicken broth and turn the cooker on high before adding the noodles. Add the noodles, put on the lid and cook for 15-30 minutes (it depends on how hot your slow cooker gets, mine cooks really quickly. Test them at 15 minutes and every few minutes after until done.)