Insanely Easy Potato Soup and Sinful Too)
This soup is awesome because it’s so easy and completely foolproof. It’s a great recipe for when you need to make dinner but don’t want to spend much time on it (I cook this when I am feeling lazy and just don’t want to bother-lol.) It’s another one of those special recipes where I will use canned cream soup because it just works so well and makes this recipe so fast.
- 12 oz bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 lbs of small red or white potatoes, cubed into bite sized pieces with skins left on and boiled until tender (10-15 minutes.) You could also use two large leftover baked potatoes and cut them up for the soup instead.
- 3 regular sized cans cream of potato soup
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder, or 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded Cheese plus more for garnish
- Sour cream
- Chives (optional)
1. Place the soup, broth, milk, garlic, salt, and black pepper into a heavy pot over medium heat and whisk until well blended.
2. Bring soup almost to a boil. Stir frequently so that the soup doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
3. Add cooked potatoes and stir.
4. If you like the soup really thick and creamy, use an immersion blender to blend the soup. Alternately, you can blend about 1/2 of the soup in a blender in small batches. If you like it chunky, you don’t need to blend it.
5. Add shredded cheese and stir into soup until melted.
6. Add most of the bacon (save a Tbsp or so to garnish each bowl) and stir to mix into pot of soup.
7. Taste soup for seasoning. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
8. Ladle soup into bowls and top with bacon, cheese, sour cream, and chives if desired.
* I have a confession. I cut my bacon into small pieces and fry it up in the pan that I am going to use for the soup. Then, I take the boiled potatoes and fry them in a bit of the bacon fat, then drain them. I leave some of the bacon fat in the pot and add the soup to it. It gives the soup a rich smokey taste. And, sometimes, if I have it, I add 1/3 cup heavy cream to the soup at the end. Yes. I am a bad girl–a very bad girl.